[Standards-JIG] privacy2 anti-SPIM proto-JEP

Jeremy Nickurak atrus at jabber.spam.rifetech.com
Mon Aug 29 18:42:23 UTC 2005

On lun, 2005-08-29 at 12:31 -0600, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> > Either way the server will have to keep track of these people (whether
> > you call them correspondents or subscriptions). Also 'one year' is only
> > an example policy. It could be the 'last month', or the 'last 100
> > correspondents', or up to 8KB of JIDs...
>
> IMHO that's what we have rosters for.
> > 1. Correspondents and roster entries are two very different things and
> > should be kept separate.
> > 2. I don't want to download the list of all my correspondents every time
> > I login (my roster is big enough already).
> > 3. Correspondents make clients more simple (they are transparent to the
> > client)
>
> I don't follow your reasoning here.

I thought the roster was a list of people who's status we're monitoring,
not necessarily a list of people who we want to receive messages from.
Consider the case of legitimate mass-mailing messages. A real, desired,
and authorized newsletter/headline/other-alert could come from a myriad
of sources that may never have an online presence, or may always have an
online presence, or may otherwise have an online presence you really
don't care about. They may not be able to accept normal messages. All of
these would tend to indicate a situation where the recieving user would
have no interest in having those particular jid's cluttering their
roster with redundant/uninteresting information.

--
Jeremy Nickurak <atrus at jabber.spam.rifetech.com>