[Standards-JIG] privacy2 anti-SPIM proto-JEP

Bart van Bragt jabber at vanbragt.com
Mon Aug 29 19:11:01 UTC 2005

Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> 1. I set my privacy lists to disallow messages from people not in my
> roster but allow subscription requests. I also tell my server to send a

IMO this is not desired behavior. I would love to see mail clients that
use XMPP instead of SMTP but that would be close to impossible if I
could only send XMPP-mail to people that are in my roster.

Furthermore I agree with Tijl. The SPIM that I saw on ICQ (years ago)
was first in the messages but people started blocking messages from
people not on their contact list. Quickly after that the SPIM arrived in
the subscription requests.

99% of the people out there are going to check out the vCard of
'samantha_85' and see if she really has a hot webcam on her site. Yes,
those people are stupid but if they do that _we_ (the people that are
not interested in Samantha) are going to be bothered with lots and lots
of tries from Samathas bosses.

So IMO we should focus on stopping the SPIM at the servers, not at the
user. I asked several MSN users (MSN has something like a 99% share of
the Dutch IM market) and none of them have ever seen SPIM on MSN. It's a
centralised service so it's probably a bit easier to keep that clean of
SPIM but IMO that's the situation we should try to get (or keep) on
XMPP. Let's make sure that the spammers don't get the chance to bother
our users.

Bart