[Standards-JIG] Ad-hoc commands vs. separate protocols

Jacek Konieczny jajcus at bnet.pl
Mon Jan 3 07:13:18 UTC 2005

On Sun, Jan 02, 2005 at 11:30:13PM +0100, Maciek Niedzielski wrote:
> Recently, 'best practices' JEPs using Ad-hoc commands started to show up.
> I understand that - provided we have ad-hoc implementation -
> implementing such protocols is extremely fast and easy.
> However... how far should we go this way?
[...]
> And what about good old IQ-based protocols?
[...]
> And if I write a JEP, then everyone knows what is going to happen and
> what options should be displayed. So... every client author may provide
> a nice looking GUI that suits his client in the best way.

With Ad-hoc commands client author still may create custom GUI that
suits his client in the best way. But he does not have to do that. Even
if he doesn't do the GUI to this specific operation the operation is
sill available to user, as long as generic Ad-Hoc commands are
supported.

There is the form field standarization JEP (JEP-68) to help client
authors create custom interfaces, still keeping data forms flexibility.

Greets,
	Jacek