[Standards-JIG] Re: Live Chat extension to Chat States (JEP-0085)

Richard Dobson richard at dobson-i.net
Wed Jan 5 10:03:55 UTC 2005

Personally I would question the value of this overall idea, what benefits
does it actually bring?, why cant we just do what we do now and send out
messages once they are finished rather than part completed??, why cant we
just continue to use the "user is typing" indicators that are already widely
deployed as they give you a similar level of information without the
bandwidth wastage?

But in any case this protocol does not seem to really fit with what Chat
States is intended for, and thus does not belong as an extension of it, this
needs its own specific optimised protocol to reduce bandwidth waste as much
as possible, and so that people who dont want to implement it dont have to.

Richard