[Standards-JIG] Re: Live Chat extension to Chat States (JEP-0085)

Rachel Blackman rcb at ceruleanstudios.com
Wed Jan 5 18:44:45 UTC 2005

> Unfortunately in Jabber it is really a waste of bandwidth, because of
> the message envelope of 150-200 byte. Only the envelope (without
> payload) every 500 ms can hit the karma limit.

If I were going to write this, I'd make it something akin to an AIM
'direct connection,' where you can send things directly rather than
through the server.  Define a stream initiation profile for 'c2c,' and
voila, you can do whatever you want without worries about server
issues.

Of course, most people aren't going to implement it because that's more
overhead, but it still seems like a better idea than the karma-killing
present idea folks are talking about.

Trillian Messenger - http://www.trillian.cc/