[Standards-JIG] Re: Dead participants in MU-conf, JEP-0045

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Tue Jan 18 18:56:28 UTC 2005

In article <11D121AB355B69448D3A9F2132D2A3AA420424 at niobe.BlueHands.de>,
 "Heiner Wolf" <wolf at bluehands.de> wrote:

> What I mean is: "A MUC service SHOULD remove a user if the service
> receives a delivery-related error"

Section 15.1 of JEP-0045 currently says:

  A MUC service SHOULD remove a user if the service receives a
  delivery-related error in relation to a stanza it has previously
  sent to the user (remote server unreachable, user not found, etc.).

That seems to address the issue, no?

> Any chat in the room will be forwarded to the user's server. If the
> user's server is not reachable or if it finds the client offline, does
> this <message type='chat'/> generate such a "delivery-related error"? If
> it does, then any chat in the room should remove the zombie. But it does
> not. So where is the problem? Either the <message type='chat'/> to the
> user's server does not generate a "delivery-related error" or the MUC
> ignores it. If it's MUC's fault then we can fix it. If the server does
> not issue a "delivery-related error" then someone should fix the server
> and MUC should protect itself from such a "bad behaviour".

It seems that we all agree on the wording of JEP-0045 and RFC 3920/3921
regarding error generation and handling. It's just that some server and
component implementations may not be doing the right thing. So let's
submit some bug reports and patches. :-)