[Standards-JIG] Re: UPDATED: JEP-0081 (Jabber MIME Type)

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Tue Jan 18 19:05:47 UTC 2005

In article <41ED5638.6010706 at pandion.be>,
 Sebastiaan Deckers <cbas at pandion.be> wrote:

> The MIME format is not just a replacement for crap browsers.
> I'd much rather use the same idea as regular XMPP streams:
> Specify some default features and their XML syntax, but let developers
> extend the format with their own namespaces.
> Interesting things will happen if the protocol can be extended in a
> compatible way.
>
> For example:
> <jabber>
>   <chat>stpeter at jabber.org</chat>
>   <background xmlns="pandion:gui:chatwindow">fluffy clouds.jpeg</background>
>   <themesong xmlns="pandion:gui:chatwindow">Ode To Joy.ogg</themesong>
> </jabber>

Those sound like "IMvironments" to me. Hmm. I hadn't been thinking along
those lines, but it might be worth pursuing for those who are interested
in such things. Let's settle this bad-browser-workaround issue first by
determining if there really are lots of bad OSes, browsers, and other
applications out there.