[Standards-JIG] Re: UPDATED: JEP-0081 (Jabber MIME Type)

Maciek Niedzielski maciekniedzielski at wp.pl
Tue Jan 18 19:22:06 UTC 2005

Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> I agree that XMPP URI is the right way to go. What is the current state
> of OS / browser / application technology wrt to adding support for new
> URI schemes? Perhaps this truly is not needed. I have experimented with
> xmpp: URIs only on OS X and Linux. They are not supported on OS X (yes,
> I filed a bug report) but are easier on Linux. What about the various
> flavors of Windows (registry hacking required?)

Windows users don't hack registry. Windows users use setup programs to
install their clients :)
And it's really common that a client has "make me your default
browser/client/something" button, so it's not a problem.

If anyone's interested, this is a sample reg file:

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\xmpp]
@="URL:XMPP Protocol"
"URL Protocol"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\xmpp\shell]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\xmpp\shell\open]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\xmpp\shell\open\command]
@="c:\\your\\client.exe %1"

--
Maciek
 xmpp:machekku at chrome.pl