[Standards-JIG] Re: Dead participants in MU-conf, JEP-0045

Tijl Houtbeckers thoutbeckers at splendo.com
Wed Jan 19 01:46:16 UTC 2005

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 17:35:56 -0800, Rachel Blackman
<rcb at ceruleanstudios.com> wrote:

>>> If a bare jid tries to join a room with the same nick name they
>>> already
>>> have, the service should kick out the older occupant with a resource
>>> conflict error and allow in the new one.
>>
>> What if I want to be in the same room with 2 different nicks? (and
>> think not just people chatting, but m2m applications as well). I'd say
>> what you suggest is implementation specific at most.
>
> Then you're not a bare JID trying to join a room with the *SAME* nick
> name they already have, as was the original proposal. ;)

Oops.. I read what he was responding to:

"Should I be allowed to enter the room with a different nickname and kick
the first instance off?"

I didn't realise he was suggesting an alternative solution to the problem,
rather than a direct answer to the question: my mistake!