[Standards-JIG] discoing a bare JID

Ralph Meijer jabber.org at ralphm.ik.nu
Wed Jan 19 19:59:01 UTC 2005

On Wed, Jan 19, 2005 at 10:40:36AM -0700, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> (1) We create a new disco identity for bare JIDs. What shall we call it?
> In essence when you disco a bare JID, the response comes from a server
> on behalf of a registered account. It's not really a user, since that
> tends to imply a human, and a registered account could represent a bot
> or some application interface. We already have an existing "server"
> category, so "server/account" might make sense (though that might lead
> people to think this entity is an "account server" as opposed to an "IM
> server"). Another option would be a new disco category of "account",
> with several potential types (I can think of "registered" and
> "anonymous", but there may be others). I lean towards a new category and
> an identity of "account/registered" for most bare JIDs.

What we do here is define the identity of an account that 'belongs' to some
entity. It is a placeholder for actual clients connecting with a particular
resource. Maybe we should differentiate between types of account owners
(natural persons, bots) using the entity type? I'm +1 for using a separate
category of 'account'.

--
Groetjes,

Ralphm