[Standards-JIG] Re: Live Chat extension to Chat States (JEP-0085)

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Wed Jan 19 23:45:46 UTC 2005

In article <00bc01c4f30d$de395440$6600a8c0 at eteach.com>,
 "Richard Dobson" <richard at dobson-i.net> wrote:

> Personally I would question the value of this overall idea, what benefits
> does it actually bring?, why cant we just do what we do now and send out
> messages once they are finished rather than part completed??, why cant we
> just continue to use the "user is typing" indicators that are already widely
> deployed as they give you a similar level of information without the
> bandwidth wastage?
>
> But in any case this protocol does not seem to really fit with what Chat
> States is intended for, and thus does not belong as an extension of it, this
> needs its own specific optimised protocol to reduce bandwidth waste as much
> as possible, and so that people who dont want to implement it dont have to.

The only reasonable justification I've heard for character-by-character
typing indicators is things like emergency response systems, e.g., when
someone is typing "someone just broke into my apartment and he is trying
to kill me!" but doesn't get to hit return and so the 911 person never
knows what happened.

/psa