[Standards-JIG] Re: Live Chat extension to Chat States (JEP-0085)

Tijl Houtbeckers thoutbeckers at splendo.com
Thu Jan 20 00:29:01 UTC 2005

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 16:45:46 -0700, Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter at jabber.org>
wrote:

> In article <00bc01c4f30d$de395440$6600a8c0 at eteach.com>,
>  "Richard Dobson" <richard at dobson-i.net> wrote:
>
>> Personally I would question the value of this overall idea, what
>> benefits
>> does it actually bring?, why cant we just do what we do now and send out
>> messages once they are finished rather than part completed??, why cant
>> we
>> just continue to use the "user is typing" indicators that are already
>> widely
>> deployed as they give you a similar level of information without the
>> bandwidth wastage?
>>
>> But in any case this protocol does not seem to really fit with what Chat
>> States is intended for, and thus does not belong as an extension of it,
>> this
>> needs its own specific optimised protocol to reduce bandwidth waste as
>> much
>> as possible, and so that people who dont want to implement it dont have
>> to.
>
> The only reasonable justification I've heard for character-by-character
> typing indicators is things like emergency response systems, e.g., when
> someone is typing "someone just broke into my apartment and he is trying
> to kill me!" but doesn't get to hit return and so the 911 person never
> knows what happened.
>
> /psa

Did you finish reading the thread yet? Like I said, this is very common in
systems for deaf people, going back to a per message basis would be
unacceptable for them.

As for a justification, it's faster than waiting for a message, that's
reasonable enough. What more justification do you need? With that kind of
additute we'd still be running this discussion list with postal pigeons ;)