[Standards-JIG] RE: Timed presence events

Jean-Louis Seguineau jean-louis.seguineau at laposte.net
Tue Mar 8 10:28:29 UTC 2005

Hi Jacek,

Your approach would certainly be the most appropriate in an IM only context,
where the 'client' is an GUI application. It would also be valid as long as
the client remains online, as it will have to 'act' on the time to change
the status.

My question was more targeted at the protocol level. There are other
contexts where having a way to indicate the time boundary of a status, or an
activity, are precious. And this information may be applied to other
application than just the interactive IM.

As an additional example, we have a way of expressing a user's activity. In
certain circumstances, we may want to add time related information:

<activity xmlns='http://jabber.org/protocol/activity'>
  <relaxing>
    <partying/>
    <valid xmlns='http://jabber.org/protocol/something'
       from='2002-09-10T20:41:07'
       to='2002-09-10T23:41:07'/>
  </relaxing>
  <text xml:lang='en'>My nurse's birthday!</text>
</activity>

This is the whole idea behind the original request.

Jean-Louis