[Standards-JIG] User display extended presence

Jean-Louis Seguineau jean-louis.seguineau at laposte.net
Wed Mar 16 19:50:17 UTC 2005

Hi Peter,

You gave the same answer last time...

Let me replace this request in context, i.e. 'extended' presence (or
whatever other protocol are calling this).
Other IM protocols are providing a way for a user to 'hint' another user
what its display name, and often icon representation, should be.

SIMPLE is providing a way to specify the status icon in the RPID draft. MSFT
has a display name extension in its SIMPLE NOTIFY implementation. Various
public IMs are providing this nickname information as part of their
presence.

I believe this is a strong indication that this requirement might go a
little further than just changing a nickname. In fact, the point is more to
provide a way of conveying this kind of information at the XMPP protocol
level. After that, developers will be free to implement it or not. But
anybody who is interested in bridging IM protocols will be interested in
closely mapping 'extended' presence information on both sides of the bridge.

For sure, I can devise my own extension for this, but I was hoping this
might be of interest to a larger population (isn't Jabber Inc. working on a
SIP/SIMPLE gateway :)

Regards

Jean-Louis