[Standards-JIG] User display extended presence

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Wed Mar 16 22:45:21 UTC 2005

On Wed, Mar 16, 2005 at 08:50:17PM +0100, Jean-Louis Seguineau wrote:

> You gave the same answer last time...

At least I'm consistent. ;-)

> Let me replace this request in context, i.e. 'extended' presence (or
> whatever other protocol are calling this).
> Other IM protocols are providing a way for a user to 'hint' another user
> what its display name, and often icon representation, should be.

We currently have nick support in vCard. Do we need something that
enables a user to change their preferred nick more regularly?

For example, like this?

<presence>
  <show>dnd</show>
  <status>whaling</status>
  <callme xmlns='foo'>Ishmael</callme>
</presence>

My question is: how frequently will someone's preferred nick change?
I've had the same IM nick for 5 years, but maybe I'm old and stodgy.
Will people want to change their nick every 5 minutes or whatever?

(I'm not suggesting we want to put this in presence, just showing it
that way to stir up conversation.)

Icon representation == avatar. We never did finish the revisions to
JEP-0084 for that, since the holidays and then the rootkit intervened.
But I think the Council was close to consensus on avatars (although
there is a different protocol out there in the wild for it, which
hopefully we'll document and harmonize soon).