[Standards-JIG] Extended user info updates

Richard Dobson richard at dobson-i.net
Thu Mar 17 14:52:37 UTC 2005

> With all due respect, telcos are not always right. No one is.

Of course not, thats part of the point, no one thing is going to be right
for every market, and no one point of view as to what users want will apply
to every market.

> That said, my greater point is that right now the interfaces for  <status>
> may not be good enough if MSN users are complaining that  they need this
> nickname-changing functionality.

The main thing that confuses them is that they dont see all of this extra
stuff that they are sticking into the nickname as "status" information, and
thus they are confused as to where to put it and frustrated that it doesnt
allow them to do what MSN allows them to do and change their nickname to
reflect this, so the whole problem is the use of the word "status", im not
sure what can be done about this other than use a word other than "status".
There is also the problem that this "nickname" information or whatever you
want to call it is something distinctly different from what they want to
express in their status information, i.e. the might want to say "has a new
car", but when they get into the shower they also want to express "in the
shower" or "on the phone" or whatever without loosing the "has a new car"
status information which is what they could do in MSN, use the display_name
for this "nickname" info and use the presence status stuff to express "on
the phone" or "busy" or "out for a meeting, be back at 5".

Yes you could manually type them all into the status info but its hardly
intutive, and if you use some of the default status buttons built into
clients for "on the phone" (or the auto aways) and the like they will
obliterate this custom info, this is a serious lacking in jabber and this
really feels like im hitting my head against a brick wall here but these are
distinctly different bits of information and need to be expressed separately
otherwise it does confuse users, and no matter how much you try to say they
need to put it into the "status" info they still see it as wrong (as do I),
because if you think about it logically without any preconceptions it isnt
strictly current "status" information thus its not the correct place for it.

Richard