[Standards-JIG] RE: Gateways

Jean-Louis Seguineau jean-louis.seguineau at laposte.net
Fri Mar 18 08:34:23 UTC 2005

Hi Matthias,

So, in short, you are saying that a Gateway may offer support for vCard
queries. And it may use different mechanisms to access (if the remote
network supports it) or generate (from cached data) the vCard information.

This is fine with me, and in my opinion is a desirable feature of a gateway.

There may nevertheless be certain cases where it will be difficult to
produce a scalable implementation. We may if you wish take this further
offline.

My only comment: this is one possible way to get access to this information.
And in this method, the client application is active and has to issue a
request to the gateway to retrieve the data. To make it simple, there is
also a case for this data to be pushed to the client application. This is an
equally valid method. Only the underlying application requirement has to
push the implementation design to use one or the other method. There will be
cases where querying for data will work fine, whereas in other cases pushing
the data will work better.

Although vcard-temp support by XMPP is far from perfect, it exists today. We
are supporting and using it in many different ways in our products. The XMPP
protocol already provides a comprehensive support for pushing the kind of
information provided by the GW directly to the client application. It just
lacks this tiny addition to cover most of what we can bridge to today.

As a provider of XMPP based platforms, I have to give end users the
flexibility to choose the most adequate solution to their business problem
without adding any constraint linked to the underlying protocol.

(And to make it equally short, I was taken abreast by the heat generated on
the thread, knowing that I couldn't care less how it's called in the
supporting document/protocol implementation ;)

Thanks

Jean-Louis