[Standards-JIG] LAST CALL: JEP-0106 (JID Escaping)

Richard Dobson richard at dobson-i.net
Wed May 4 08:22:26 UTC 2005

>> So what is the big deal about special-casing for those 9 code points but
>> converting them using #xx; rather than %xx?
>
> Actually, my instant thought is, why "#xx;" instead of just "#xx"?  We're
> only
> encoding nine characters, so it's not like we need to make way for more
> hex
> digits.  The only reason for the ";" at the end of XML escapes is because
> you
> can omit the zeroes from the front, and AFAIK we have no escapes which
> start
> with zero anyway.
>
> If it were simply "#xx" vs. "%xx", most people wouldn't actually care
> because of
> the reasons you stated (we'd be implementing our own escaping code
> anyway.)  The
> two seem equally readable to me, and the former definitely seems more
> backwards
> compatible so it should be a no-brainer.

Except for the fact that using # will break things in just the same way as
using % supposedly does (IRC transport), can someone here explain exactly
what gets broken by using % rather than # as no reasons that cannot easily
be overcome have yet been presented, I cannot see anything myself, if
someone presents something convincing ill shut up, but until now its just
been batted around "oh it will break stuff so we must not do it", but what
exactly does it break??? Also it seems to have been conveniently ignored
that using # will break the IRC transport in exactly the same way as %
supposedly does.

Richard