[Standards-JIG] LAST CALL: JEP-0106 (JID Escaping)

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Wed May 4 18:07:03 UTC 2005

On Wed, May 04, 2005 at 07:06:50PM +1000, Trejkaz wrote:
> On Wed, 4 May 2005 18:22, Richard Dobson wrote:
> > Except for the fact that using # will break things in just the same way as
> > using % supposedly does (IRC transport), can someone here explain exactly
> > what gets broken by using % rather than # as no reasons that cannot easily
> > be overcome have yet been presented, I cannot see anything myself, if
> > someone presents something convincing ill shut up, but until now its just
> > been batted around "oh it will break stuff so we must not do it", but what
> > exactly does it break??? Also it seems to have been conveniently ignored
> > that using # will break the IRC transport in exactly the same way as %
> > supposedly does.
>
> Which IRC transport does this?  The only one I've ever found live was
> ejabberd's, which doesn't have this problem.

Well, IRC channels begin with the # character. For example, to join the
channel #debian on irc.debian.org via the IRC gateway at irc.jabber.org,
you would type the following as a groupchat room in your Jabber client:

  #debian%irc.debian.org at irc.jabber.org

So if you were accustomed to joining a channel called #40;daysand40nights
on irc.alladin.lit via irc.jabber.org, then it is within the realm of
possibility that you might try to join that channel but actually be
directed to some other channel, namely:

  @daysand40nights%irc.alladin.lit at irc.example.com.

However, I see this as much less likely than problems with MSN gateways
because (1) very few people have ever used one of the IRC gateways (2)
very few IRC channels begin with #xx; and (3) very few Jabber users ever
put groupchat rooms in their rosters.

> But if this other IRC transport is actually in use anywhere, maybe another
> character should be chosen.  How about backslash?  It doesn't appear to be on
> the prohibited list, and is already fairly familiar to people as an escape
> character.  And I don't see how any transport would be using this as a magic
> character.

So \40 for @ (etc.)?

/psa