[Standards-JIG] JEP 60: Most Recent Items defined?

Chris Mullins chris.mullins at coversant.net
Fri May 20 22:05:43 UTC 2005

PSA Wrote:
> Do you feel that the JEP needs to specify this?

I believe it needs to.

The reason is one of compliance testing. I have tests that publish items
to the server and then request items back and verify the correct items
are returned.

Without having the JEP specify the order, there's no way to write these
tests, and therefore no mechanism by which to test compliance. The tests
might pass on the SoapBox PubSub implementation, but fail on the others
- yet both would be in compliance with the spec. Clearly, this is not
ideal.

In the example that I originally used:
> <iq [...]>
>     <pubsub xmlns="http://jabber.org/protocol/pubsub">
>         <publish node="somenode">
>
>             <item id="left">
>                 <leftnode/>
>             </item>
>
>             <item id="right">
>                 <rightnode/>
>             </item>
>         </publish>
>     </pubsub>
> </iq>

When the test publishes these two items, then requests the "most recent
item", the test is useless as a compliance test if sometimes "leftnode"
is correct, and sometimes "rightnode" is correct. Specifying this makes
these cases testable.

--
Chris Mullins