[Standards-JIG] JEP 60: Resource Based Subscription problem

Ralph Meijer jabber.org at ralphm.ik.nu
Tue May 31 10:43:33 UTC 2005

Sorry for not responding earlier, I've been doing two conferences (XTech
and one of the Dutch Unix User Group), talking about Jabber.

Response to the whole thread below.

On Thu, May 26, 2005 at 04:24:42PM -0700, JD Conley wrote:
> > Chris Mullins wrote:
> > > If user1 has a resource based subscription to a node, but is logged
> > > in with a different resource, what is the behavior?

What others have tried to explain and some still seem to have failed to
grasp is this:

The pubsub JEP was defined on top of XMPP Core, not on top of XMPP IM.
That means that it doesn't know/care about resource/priority based
routing and offline message storage. Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

> I just had an interesting idea on this subject.  Forgive me if someone
> brought it up already and I just wasn't paying attention.
>
> Perhaps we could use AMP (JEP-0079) for the advanced messaging rules of
> PubSub.  Then it could tell the XMPP server exactly what to do with the
> message and wouldn't have to pay attention to user presence.

Exactly my thoughts. We could define a node and/or subscription option
to integrate this *optionally*.

--
Groetjes,

ralphm