[Standards-JIG] proto-JEP: Language Translation

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Wed Jan 18 18:54:37 UTC 2006

JEP Editor wrote:
> The JEP Editor has received a proposal for a new JEP.
>
> Title: Language Translation
>
> Abstract: This JEP defines a protocol for providing language
> translation facilities over XMPP. It supports human, machine,
> client-based, and server-based translations.

It might be valuable to have the translation engine translate the
translation back into the original language. This is often standard
practice so that you can check the quality of the translation. For
example, I might ask the engine to translate a phrase from English to
Czech and then back into English (sorry, my Czech is quite rusty, sorry
for the errors!):

<message from='stpeter at jabber.org/roundabout' to='trans.xmpp.org'>
   <x xmlns='http://jabber.org/protocol/langtrans'>
     <translation destination='cz'/>
   </x>
</message>

<message from='trans.xmpp.org' to='stpeter at jabber.org/roundabout'>
   <x xmlns='http://jabber.org/protocol/langtrans'>
     <translation destination='cz' derived_from='en'/>
     <backtrans>
     </backtrans>
   </x>
</message>