[Standards-JIG] message types

Tomasz Sterna tomek at xiaoka.com
Wed Jun 28 16:48:04 UTC 2006

On 6/28/06, Hal Rottenberg <halr9000 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> As we all know we have three message types:
>> Are we going to do something usefull with it?
> Sorry, have to totally disagree with you here.  I enjoy the
> distinction and in fact use all 3 every day.

Hal, it's not a matter of taking sides - I'm just discussing possibilities. :-)

On 6/28/06, Michal vorner Vaner <michal.vaner at kdemail.net> wrote:
> Well, I use the normal mail-like messages sometimes, for more formal
> communication.

So, if we want to keep the "type" semantics, to mark the type of a message
we should extend it at least by a "notification" type, for pub-sub
node change notifications.
Now they are unrecognizable from normal plain messages.

> Then we maybe could define such protocol to retrieve only the mail-like.

We could extend JEP-0013 to show "type" while browsing and accept
"type" while fetching.

> However, they are different from chat only the way how they show.

Not only. Messages deliver <subject/> and chats deliver <thread/>.

> And headlines are not stored offline anyway.

What do you say? Mine are stored. :-)

> Why couldn't I have headline looking email-like message?

What do you mean? Could explain more?

--
smk