[Standards-JIG] Re: JEP-0124: comments on proposed version 1.5

Ian Paterson ian.paterson at clientside.co.uk
Tue May 9 03:47:01 UTC 2006

> The point is, that an http error is NOT an http-binding
> error. It is something different and  a http-binding error
> should not report an http error.

Isn't that a bit like saying, "when a Web server can't find the file
associated with a URL it should not return an HTTP 404 error because it
has experienced a file-system error not an HTTP error"?

Since this protocol is bound to HTTP (rather than merely transported by
HTTP), I find an HTTP 404 error a perfectly appropriate response when,
for example, the connection manager cannot find the session that
corresponds to the SID specified by the client request.

> > Is there really no solution within PHP?
>
> There is.

Good :-)

> The problem is not the http error (like 404). But there
> should also be an XML version of the error code.
> It is easy to ignore an 404, but there should be at
> least an example in the JEP like:
>
> HTTP/1.1 403 OK

>       condition='forbidden'
>       xmlns='http://jabber.org/protocol/httpbind'/>

Although "403 OK" is a bit strange, an example with optional XML
wouldn't hurt.

But I don't really see the need since this example from the JEP is,
IMHO, just as descriptive:

HTTP/1.1 403 Forbidden

- Ian