[Standards-JIG] Re: JEP-0124: comments on proposed version 1.5

Vinod Panicker vinod.p at gmail.com
Wed May 10 04:25:44 UTC 2006

On 5/9/06, Matt Tucker <matt at jivesoftware.com> wrote:
> Ian,
>
> We've submitted an initial proposal to PSA for a generic "multi-stream"
> or "connection manager" (as we call it) protocol. It's largely similar
> to the external component protocol, but with SASL, TLS, and a few extras
> thrown in. This is part of our "Pampero" project for greatly increased
> scalability in Wildfire.

Maybe this would address what I'm talking about.  Matt, does this
overlap with the multi-stream feature addressed in JEP-0124 in any
way?

> We definitely agree that a cross-server protocol for connection managers
> or multi-stream is the best approach. It will allow proxies to work with
> any server as well as give the XMPP protocol fundamentally better
> scalability. Our own implementation of the protocol will be in the next
> several months and we're attempting to work with some other server
> implementers to see it more widely adopted.

Agreed.  I'd love to see the current proposal.  I'm looking at such an
implementation for HTTP-Binding as well as generic server scalability.
 Do drop me an email if you'd like to work together.

Regards,
Vinod.