[Standards-JIG] Re: The Ack Hack.

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Wed May 10 16:54:02 UTC 2006

On Wed May 10 17:45:38 2006, Pavel Šimerda wrote:
> I think the server should ping silent connections too... just use
> longer timeouts... like 2 minutes... or 5 minutes... or whatever.

No, because there's no need. A client might want to do this in order
to prevent a NAT (or connection tracking firewall) timeout, or to
support any other kind of limited connectivity, but there's no reason
for a server to do that, it has no reason to think a silent
connection is anything but silent.

TCP is designed to survive a temporary loss of the underlying network
layer, it'd be a terrible shame to throw that away, and a silent TCP
connection doesn't cost much in terms of resources. (Or shouldn't,
anyway).

When stanzas get sent to that connection and there's still no acks,
it's worth the server doing something. It might even be worth
soliciting an ack when the first stanza "for a while" gets sent, too,
to shorten the timeout.

Dave.
--
           You see things; and you say "Why?"