[Standards-JIG] JEP-60 Item id for node configuration change notifications

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Wed May 10 20:22:06 UTC 2006

Peter Saint-Andre wrote:

>>> I'm not sure why Peter did it that way, since that's the only reserved
>>> ItemID as far as I can see. However, I don't immediately see a better
>>> approach, so I think a service would in fact need to reject publication
>>> requests that specify an ItemID of "configuration" (i.e., reserve that
>>> ItemID for generation only by the service). I'll clarify that in the text.
>
> I've added the following note to Section 8.2 of my working copy:
>
> ***
>
> Note: The "configuration" ItemID MUST be reserved by a service; if an
> owner or publisher attempts to publish an item with an ItemID of
> "configuration", the service MUST either modify the ItemID before
> generating the associated notifications or refuse the publication
> request with a <conflict/> error.
>
> ***

On reflection, I think <not-allowed/> is the right error.

> I will also add an appropriate error flow to Section 7.1.

I propose the following text:

***

If the requesting entity specified a reserved ItemID, the service MUST
either modify the ItemID before generating the associated notifications
or refuse the publication request with a <not-allowed/> error, which
SHOULD also include a pubsub-specific error condition of
<itemid-reserved/>. Note: Currently the only reserved ItemID is
"configuration" as described in the Manage Subscription Requests section
of this document.

Example 88. Entity attempts to publish item with reserved ItemID

<iq type='error'
    from='pubsub.shakespeare.lit'
    to='hamlet at denmark.lit/elsinore'
    id='publish1'>
    <publish node='blogs/princely_musings'>
      <item id='configuration'>
        ... PAYLOAD ...
      </item>
    </publish>
  </pubsub>
  <error type='modify'>
    <not-allowed xmlns='urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:xmpp-stanzas'/>
    <itemid-reserved xmlns='http://jabber.org/protocol/pubsub#errors'/>
  </error>
</iq>

***