[Standards-JIG] Re: The Ack Hack.

Trejkaz trejkaz at trypticon.org
Wed May 10 22:21:03 UTC 2006

On Thursday 11 May 2006 03:38, Tony Finch wrote:
> On Wed, 10 May 2006, Richard Dobson wrote:
> > personally I think that as soon as a connection is detected by the
> > server as being dead (using the acks) that the particular user in
> > question should immediately go offline rather than buffering the traffic
> > and giving the user a couple of minutes to reconnect.
>
> It sounds like you don't want reliable delivery at all, but would be happy
> with fast disconnection detection, which can (and is) already be done with
> whitespace pings.

This doesn't necessarily give fast disconnection at all.  When I'm at work
connected through an SSH tunnel, if the SSH connection drops out, the SSH
client keeps the socket open and it takes quite some time for *any* Jabber
client to notice that it's been disconnected.

Of course, if you meant that the server sends the pings and we disconnect when
they stop coming, that would work.  But I don't think we can rely on the
server sending those.

TX

             Email: trejkaz at trypticon.org
         Jabber ID: trejkaz at trypticon.org