Jean-Louis Seguineau jean-louis.seguineau at laposte.net
Tue May 16 16:52:22 UTC 2006

This JEP highlights a point where XMPP could improve its presence
distribution model. Obviously we would streamline traffic by delegating
probing and advertising to the target server. The greater gains thought
would only be achieved when a particular user has more than one contact
located on a remote server. If one user has a widely spread remote contact
distribution (i.e. many remote contacts each on different servers), the real
gain would be lower than expected.

But beyond any discussions about how much traffic decrease would be
incurred, the proposed implementation will break the XMPP inter domain
routing. And that is not acceptable.

I could also agree to add some extension inside a <presence/> stanza
indicating it is a 'smart unicast' destined to a remote server. It must in
any case be addressed to the remote server, because without a 'to' attribute
for an s2s, routing becomes impossible.

If we believe the gain of this approach is worth modifying servers behavior,
I propose to change the implementation to something like

<presence from='romeo at montague/inlove' to='capulet'/>

Or if we want to be more specific

<presence from='romeo at montague/inlove' to='capulet'>
    <broadcast xmlns='some_new_xmpp_namespace'/>
</presence>

In both cases note the to attribute with the bare JID of the remote server.

Jean-Louis