[Standards-JIG] Jabber external components: going out of style

Chris Mullins chris.mullins at coversant.net
Thu May 18 00:18:49 UTC 2006

Pedro Melo <melo at co.sapo.pt> Wrote:

> Recent JEPs are getting more and more
> integrated or tightly coupled with the server.

As a server implementer, I would tend to agree with you.

I've implemented a lot of JEPs in our server, and by far most of them
were easier to implement directly into the server.

Some of the JEPs have been implemented as external components (MUC,
PubSub, Administration, and a few others), but by far the majority are
internal.

I'm not privy to the implementation of other servers (in fact, I've gone
out of my way to not look at the source code for other servers, as there
are IP issues involved if I do), but adding the ability to handle a new
stanza in the SoapBox Server is.... trivial. Adding in a new moving part
is a bit more difficult, but not a whole lot. It just usually easier to
solve problems inside the server.

--
Chris Mullins