[Standards-JIG] Re: Jabber external components: going out of style

Gaston Dombiak gaston at jivesoftware.com
Thu May 25 17:13:13 UTC 2006

Hey Peter,

> Presumably an external component that connects via JEP-0114 could
> request the roster for any user on the server, no? And it could even
> send presence for any user (probably with negative priority) and then
> receive roster updates.

In our implementation packets sent by external components to the server will
be routed by the server no matter the FROM and TO attributes values.
However, if the external component sends this packet:

<iq from='juliet at example.com/balcony' type='get' id='roster_1'>
  <query xmlns='jabber:iq:roster'/>
</iq>

then the server will route it to the roster handler and will end up
returning the roster to the user juliet that logged from the balcony. In
other words, the server will process/handle packets based on the FROM and TO
attributes. And outgoing packets are routed to the (local) sessions whose
JID matches the TO attribute (not to the physical connection that sent the
original stanza).

So I'm wondering how should external components request a user's roster and
indicate the server that the answer should be sent to the component and not
the user? Is there any JEP that covers this scenario?

Thanks,

  -- Gato