[Standards-JIG] Re: XMPP Ping method?

Bruce Fitzsimons Bruce at Fitzsimons.org
Sun Nov 5 10:22:10 UTC 2006

Piotr Szturmaj wrote:
> How about sending keepalive iq from server:
>
> <snip>
>
> something like:
>
> <iq type="get" to="juliet at gmail.com" id="keepalive">
>   <ping xmlns="jabber:iq:ping"/>
> </iq>
>
> respond:
>
> <iq type="result" from="juliet at gmail.com" id="keepalive"/>
>
> when 'id' should be up to implementation

Can I suggest you also add an opaque field that is reflected in the
keepalive (aka heartbeat, a better term IMO). This is the same approach
SCTP takes for its heartbeats (see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SCTP#HEARTBEAT_chunk ) and it allows the
sending party some flexibility, including measuring hop RTT, throwing in
some crypto hash etc etc. The only responsibility the recipient has is
to reflect it back in the response -- it is completely opaque to them.

/Bruce