[Standards-JIG] JEP-0171 Questions (Language Translation) - Registering a Translator

Jean-Louis Seguineau jean-louis.seguineau at laposte.net
Tue Oct 10 19:30:44 UTC 2006

Chris,

I concur with your analysis of the holes lefts in a scenario based on
today's XEP-0030. After all it was initially intended to allow servers to
answer disco queries without the JID being online. That said, wouldn't we be
better off separating discovery (i.e. is the service supported) from
availability (i.e. is the service present). Of course, it may imply a slight
modification of the way the client lookup the translator service by using
disco and then probing the bot presence. But is that really unrealistic?

More generally, I believe your initial question highlight a typical case
that will inevitably become more frequent as "presence enabled" services
multiply. Everything considered, your suggestion of an extension of the XEP
to include a presence related discovery might become main stream sooner than
you think ;)

Jean-Louis