[Standards-JIG] Communicating timezone information

Matthias Wimmer m at tthias.eu
Sun Sep 10 01:26:48 UTC 2006

Hi Maciek!

Maciek Niedzielski schrieb:
>> I've thought about forcing iq:time to use the JEP-0082 format. What
>> would be the transition issues?
>
> It depends. If implementations parse this as ISO date-time, it would
> still work. But I guess that they may be many implementations that can
> understand only one format (the one from original JEP). Maybe it would
> be a good idea to ask people on jdev how would their implementations
> react to JEP-0082 format used in old JEPs.

1. Is the format of this parsed at all anywhere? As the current format
cannot be processed automatically very easily, I expect, that most of
the time, it's just used by user agents displaying the string as is.

2. What would break, if an application cannot parse the result? I don'T
think that jabber:iq:time is used by any important feature. (Again
because the format is not very easy to use at present.)

3. Why not just add the JEP-0082 format timestamp as a new result
element? After some transition time, we could even stop sending the old
format string.

Matthias

--
Matthias Wimmer      Fon +49-700 77 00 77 70
Züricher Str. 243    Fax +49-89 95 89 91 56