[Standards-JIG] Re: UPDATED: JEP-0136 (Message Archiving)

Remko Troncon remko at el-tramo.be
Sun Sep 10 20:21:54 UTC 2006

> Version 0.7 of JEP-0136 (Message Archiving) has been released.

I'm wondering why archiving preferences should also apply to local archiving,
and if this doesn't complicate things. What if your preferences for local
archiving are different than your preferences for server-side archiving ?
I also wonder how the UI for archiving should work. You don't know the
user's preferences unless you log in. Clients typically provide a way
to enable/disable local logging prior to connecting. If you want your
archiving preferences to apply to local logging as well, the selected
settings may conflict with the ones you discover after logging in.
Should you override the locally selected settings ? Should you
update the server-side settings ? What if you only wanted those
server-side settings to apply only to server-side logging ?

About Section 7 (Archive management): how do we recommend searching through
the history for words ? If i'm not mistaken, the query protocol doesn't
support searching (and probably shouldn't, feels like opening a can of
worms). So, do we leave this to the server-side history browsing
tools and/or clients that replicate history locally at all times ? Maybe
worth mentioning (unless i overlooked it in the JEP).

Some typos: 'existance' should be 'existence', and 'depricated' should be
'deprecated' if i'm not mistaken. The other typo was already reported
by matthias.

cheers,
Remko