[Standards-JIG] Fuzzy service discovery feature registration

Matthias Wimmer m at tthias.eu
Sun Sep 17 09:57:06 UTC 2006

I am just checking with additional service discovery features jabberd14
should advertize, as it supports many protocols listed on
http://www.jabber.org/registrar/disco-features.html, but the list there
does not help me very much. It is very unclear to me when to advertize a
given feature, as the given reverence for features often point to
documents, not describing this discovery feature.

E.g. the first list item is "dnsrv" and the linked documentation is RFC
3920 and 3921. While these documents describe that servers have to to
SRV lookups and clients should support them, these RFCs do not tell
anything about when "dnsrv" should be added to a disco#info result.

With this example, I think it is not even clear by intuition (and
standards should not need them to interpret them). I have no idea on who
is intended to advertize this feature. Is it a component/generic entity,
that does the DNS resolving that should advertize this feature? Or
should also a component/s2s entity advertize this feature, if it uses a
SRV record compatible resolver to get the addresses where to connect to?
Or is it even a server/im, that should advertize this feature, if the
software module it uses to establish s2s will connect to honor DNS SRV
records.

I think the list of discovery features, should only link to JEPs and
RFCs if they actually document when to advertizes this feature and for
which entities. If the currently linked standard does only document,
that advertized feature but not when it should be advertized, the
document should either be extended (in case of JEPs) or an additional
JEP should be written to document this (in case of RFCs where we cannot
add this information directly).

Matthias

--
Matthias Wimmer      Fon +49-700 77 00 77 70
Züricher Str. 243    Fax +49-89 95 89 91 56