[Standards-JIG] email best practices JEP

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Mon Sep 25 03:07:51 UTC 2006

On Sun, Sep 24, 2006 at 06:07:29PM -0700, Dave Crocker wrote:

> Ian Paterson wrote:
> >IMHO XMPP's extensibility will give IM a better chance to fight SPAM
> >wars than email has had. That is just one reason why, IMHO, most people
> >will benefit once XMPP eventually replaces the email messaging protocols.
> >
> >IMHO, for that to happen then XMPP IM clients will *at first* need to
> >integrate fully-featured SMTP (and POP or IMAP) functionality.
>

> The following is a mantra I repeat, every time someone suggests
> replacing SMTP:
>
> 1.  There will, indeed, come a time when it needs to be replaced,
> because it cannot be enhanced to support a capability for which there is
> clear and strong community need.

FWIW, I'm not all that interested in replacing SMTP with XMPP. I suppose
that sending email over XMPP for inter-domain communications might have
some benefits, but IMHO we're so busy building out the XMPP infrastructure
and technology suite that also taking on the problem of email-over-XMPP
would be unwise.

/psa