[Standards] Re: XEP-178

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Thu Feb 1 21:06:38 UTC 2007

Matthias Wimmer wrote:
> Hi Peter!
>
> Peter Saint-Andre schrieb:
>> We would not forbid it for servers, but we would not require it
>> either. Or at least we would say that you should check the dnsName
>> first. This would modify the text in rfc3920bis.
>
> I'll have to check what we currently have in the XEP. The way I
> implemented it is: check if there is a matching id-on-xmppAddr or
> dNSName (doesn't matter in which order this is done). If there was a
> match => accept. If there was no match, but on of these two extensions
> was present => decline. Else => check CN.

What about wildcards? I guess things should be OK as long as there is no
wildcard in the XMPP OID (i.e., id-on-xmppAddr). But what should the
receiving server do if the connection comes from "conference.jabber.org"
but the id-on-xmppAddr has "jabber.org" (even if the dnsName has
"*.jabber.org") and the OID is checked first?

XMPP Standards Foundation