[Standards-JIG] XEP-0163: PEP updates

Ian Paterson ian.paterson at clientside.co.uk
Wed Jan 3 19:10:39 UTC 2007

Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> The motivating example here is public keys (see XEP-0189), since you
> might have RSA keys, DSA keys, X.509 certs, etc.

Hmm, it's an example, but I'm not sure it's "the motivating example".
Clients are likely to support muliple public key formats (to ensure
compatibility), and key publishing is a relatively rare event, so I
doubt clients will typically mind receiving publishing events for all
key types. If I'm wrong, and they do care, then XEP-0189 could always
specify multiple registered nodes (instead of multiple "middle layer"
wrapper elements/namespaces).

In fact XEP-0189 might motivate a design closer to v1.0 of PEP...
Although clients should store their own secure copies of other user's
public keys, some clients will not have access to sufficient secure
storage space and will instead choose to store only the key fingerprints
- requesting the full keys whenever they are required.

Therefore, the ideal design for XEP-0189 might be for PEP to allow the
publishing client to always use the registered NodeID specified in the
XEP (e.g., 'urn:xmpp:pubkeys') and set the (non-opaque) ItemID of each
key to be the fingerprint of the key. Clients would then be able to
request any specific key straight-off without having to perform any
other PEP query.

I tend to agree with Kevin and Remko's comments (see extracts below) -
that although "pubsub#type" filtering adds useful functionality (and
could be used instead of registered NodeIDs to implement XEP-0189 and
the other XEPs built on PEP):

1. It might be an unnecessary complication of PEP.
2. XEPs requiring multiple nodes that serve up the same kind of payload
(e.g. blog feeds) could/should be built on XEP-0060 instead.

Of course someone might still come up with a really motivating example
to change our minds.

- Ian