Daniel Noll daniel at noll.id.au
Mon Jul 2 04:33:28 UTC 2007

> But the high cost is primarily -- indeed, I would say almost /
> exclusively/ -- when someone logs on and probes their entire roster.
> Or when someone logs in for the first time in a day or so, and all
> their contacts probe them; usually the cache will be gone for at
> least some of the contacts by then, as many people restart their
> clients (and thus lose the cache) every few days due to a Windows
> reboot or wanting to play a game and not be bothered, or whatever.

I would have a hard time finding two users on my roster with the same
client anyway, unless they happen to both be logged in via Gmail.

I'm not sure the login flood would be too painful even if you cached by
the triplet of (client,exts,(bare)jid).  The reason is that when I login,
I see the same 50-odd users as I saw last time, almost always running
clients I've seen them running before.

Sure, if all 50 users happen to upgrade their clients at the same time, it
might cause a flood.  And when that happens, it might be an idea to put in
for a few lottery tickets.

Daniel

 Jabber: daniel at noll.id.au
  Email: daniel at noll.id.au