Ian Paterson ian.paterson at clientside.co.uk
Tue Jul 3 12:48:59 UTC 2007

Rachel Blackman wrote:
> Let's say we have node='http://ceruleanstudios.com/astra/caps' and
> ver='h$someverylongstring' and ext='h$otherverylongstring'

Or how about simply:
node='$' ver='base64encodedHashOfFeatures'

The benefits being it is more compact, and since all modern clients will
advertise the same node, even legacy clients will effectively end up
storing modern clients' caps globaly rather than on a per-client basis.

The XEP could also specify that if a client sets the value of the 'node'
attribute to "$" then it MUST NOT include an 'ext' attribute.

Disclaimer: I've not been following this thread closely, so please
excuse me if you've already agreed that the above are not good ideas.

- Ian