Joe Hildebrand hildjj at gmail.com
Tue Jul 3 15:18:59 UTC 2007

On Jul 3, 2007, at 8:01 AM, Dave Cridland wrote:

>> The XEP could also specify that if a client sets the value of the
>> 'node' attribute to "$" then it MUST NOT include an 'ext' attribute.
> Not sure about this, it really depends on how ext is actually used
> in the wild, as Joe said. I'd be tempted to leave this somewhat
> open, at least for now. It could be that we could grow a set of
> extensions of commonly co-implemented features, bearing no actual
> relation to client plugins, and cut down traffic that way. But such
> things require quite a bit of research.

Ext is used in the wild.  My initial reaction is that it is still
needed, but on further thought, I can't see why.  I suggest that
perhaps we should add a attribute that looks like:

hash='MD5'

and make it mutually-exclusive with ext.  The idea of caps in the
hash-mode is that disco#info with no node will return the same answer
as disco#info with a node of URI#hash.  In fact, many clients will be
able to completely ignore the node as long as they a) validate that
it's one that makes sense and b) return it back to the sender in the
response.

--
Joe Hildebrand