Rachel Blackman rcb at ceruleanstudios.com
Tue Jul 3 16:38:34 UTC 2007

On Jul 3, 2007, at 7:01 AM, Joe Hildebrand wrote:

> On Jul 2, 2007, at 5:12 PM, Rachel Blackman wrote:
>
>> Because the caching logic is not identical; hash-forms are global,
>> rather than client-specific.  If Psi and Exodus have precisely the
>> same capabilities, they will generate the same hash and I should
>> not need to re-query it, even if they have different caps nodes.
>
> This is an optimization that a receiving client might choose to
> use, but I'm not sure that it needs to be in the spec, other than
> as an implementation note.

The two objections to caps are always that a) ZOMG someone can maybe
maliciously pollute the cache, and b) we should have exts hardcoded
so you never need to query ever and they should be the same across
all clients.

My understanding was that this proposal was addressing /both/; not
only making caps something self-validating, but also extending the
cache to be globally valid?