[Standards] roster schema

Joe Hildebrand hildjj at gmail.com
Wed Jul 4 14:58:27 UTC 2007

On Jul 4, 2007, at 8:34 AM, Richard Dobson wrote:

> It is, but given the reason for it that its for database
> implementation constraints (i.e. edging towards implementation
> specific)

I would argue that with PEP, and the access control models that it
has, although this may be implementation-specific, almost every
server implementation is going to grapple with this over time.

> IMO it would be better to be flexible and go for option 2 and let
> the implementations decide their limits rather than have it hard
> coded in the protocol to a value that might not allow for optimal
> performance in certain environments.

It would be more flexible, at the cost of simplicity.  I disagree
that this flexibility is important.

> I would go for option 2 and specify what error should be returned
> if the client goes over the limit so it can present the appropriate
> user interface for the end user.

Would you suggest protocol and standards language then?

--
Joe Hildebrand