[Standards] roster schema

Rachel Blackman rcb at ceruleanstudios.com
Thu Jul 5 23:03:32 UTC 2007

> We're talking about a handle for an IM contact or the name of a roster
> group here, not the functioning of a complete operating system. Get
> some
> perspective.

As some perspective, the three longest proper names I know of are
places:

Krungthepmahanakornamornratanakosinmahintarayutthayamahadilokphopnoppara
trajathaniburiromudomrajaniwesmahasatharnamornphimarnavatarnsathitsakkat
tiyavisanukamprasit in Thailand.

Tetaumatawhakatangihangakoauaotamateaurehaeaturipukapihimaungahoronukupo
kaiwhenuaakitanarahu in New Zealand.

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch in Wales.

All are usually abbreviated (Krungthep Mahanakhon, Tetauma and
Llanfair), but even unabbreviated, the longest of them is 163
characters; this is considerably shorter than the proposed 1023
character limit.  Even all three of them put TOGETHER with spaces
between them are considerably shorter than the proposed 1023
character limit.

I really cannot personally envision a situation where someone needs
to put more than 1023 characters into the 'name' portion of a roster
item.  If someone can come up with a personal name they would
actually use -- and expect to be displayed, which makes me pity their
client's UI designer -- in their client contact list which is longer
than 1023 characters, I would suggest that they can reasonably find
an abbreviation.

Seriously, how many of us can actually view Krungthep Mahanakhon's
full, unabbreviated name in our /mail clients/ without it wrapping?
How many of us could display it without truncation or wrapping in our
XMPP client?  Could you do the same with something /6.27 times longer/?