[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: Getting a User's Attention

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Fri Jul 6 16:31:34 UTC 2007

Andreas Monitzer wrote:
> On Jul 06, 2007, at 17:55, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
>
>>> Isn't not-authorized an iq result, and thus not applicable for a message
>>> stanza?
>>
>> If the message contains only the attention element (as it certainly
>> should), then the recipient can simply ignore it. It's not necessary to
>> return an error, IMHO.
>
> On mixed messages, my implementation just ignores the attention part and
> displays the body-part like any other message when this feature is
> disabled. That's also how I specified it in the XEP.
> Note that my example actually is a mixed message. Of course, that's not
> necessary, and my implementation can't send such a stanza either (it'd
> be complicated UI-wise to do that).

How do other services implement this kind of "poke" feature? I assume in
the UI you can right-click or whatever to choose "poke stpeter" and your
client sends this special message off to me. I think it's less likely
that you'd send a message ("hey pay attention!") with the poke, but
naturally you could do that. If my client didn't know anything about the
poke namespace (or was configured to ignore pokes) then it would simply
ignore that part of the stanza.

/psa