[Standards] private storage revisited

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Mon Jul 9 01:25:23 UTC 2007

Mridul Muralidharan wrote:

> Whether to autocreate or to return error saying node does not exist
> (item-not-found) - can this be an implementation detail ? That is, are
> clients expected to handle the error path too and explictly create ?
> We do not have auto create in pubsub iirc (not sure if pubsub was
> modified to support this) - so supporting this for pep will implictly
> mean supporting it for pubsub too (same namespace, etc).

In accordance with earlier Council discussion, we have provisionally
moved all the substantive features to XEP-0060 (so that things like PEP
are simply "profiles" of various features defined in XEP-0060). The
auto-create feature is describe here:

http://www.xmpp.org/extensions/tmp/xep-0060-1.10.html#publisher-publish-autocreate

Support for the auto-create feature is optional. If a service supports
that feature then it would auto-create, if not then it would return
item-not-found.

/psa