[Standards] XEP-0004: Data Forms - Open Issues

Tobias Markmann tmarkmann at googlemail.com
Mon Jul 9 14:34:21 UTC 2007

Hi,

During my coding on the Data Form Designer Suite for XMPP[1] some questions
on XEP-0004[2] raised and I tried finding answers. I think the XEP is still
pretty vague in some points. So here they are:

   1. Seems that list-single and list-multi are implemented in most
   clients that the end user isn't allowed to add new items to the list, just
   select one or in the list-multi case more. This seems to be okay for me and
   might even go without saying but I suggest to explain it more clearly in the
   XEP.
   2. Jid-single and jid-multi field types on the other hand seem to be
   editable by the end user but there isn't described how to supply default
   values for these field types.
   3. XEP-0004 should describe that for list-single and list-multi fields
   labels and values have to be unique. There MUST NOT be an option with a
   label or value which already has been used in that field. If not and you
   have a list-single you might run into cases where the default value
   describes two options selected. This may sounds stupid but the protocol
   doesn't say anything about it.

Most of these issues may be easy to solve through some better and more
precise description and a better example so all field types are shown in
usage.

cheers,
Tobias Markmann

[1] http://ayena.de