[Standards] how to treat invalid XMPP?

Jakob Schroeter js at camaya.net
Mon Jul 16 17:31:01 UTC 2007

Hi,

Apparantly there is a number of software packages that generates invalid XMPP.
I've seen at least unescaped ' and " in attribute values and character data,
respectively.

http://www.xmpp.org/rfcs/rfc3920.html#xml states that an XMPP implementation
must not generate such unescaped characters, and when it "receives such
restricted XML data, it MUST ignore the data".

So far I just throw a parse error and disconnect the stream (when I
implemented that, I never thought this would actually happen), but people
complain about that. Also, that makes the receiving client look bad. However,
just ignoring the offending character could possibly change the meaning of
the data, so I don't think this is a good solution, either.

What do you think?

Jakob