[Standards] how to treat invalid XMPP?

Andreas Monitzer jig at monitzer.com
Mon Jul 16 17:46:14 UTC 2007

On Jul 16, 2007, at 19:31, Jakob Schroeter wrote:

> So far I just throw a parse error and disconnect the stream (when I
> implemented that, I never thought this would actually happen), but
> people
> complain about that.

They're complaining to the wrong person, then.

> Also, that makes the receiving client look bad. However,
> just ignoring the offending character could possibly change the
> meaning of
> the data, so I don't think this is a good solution, either.
>
> What do you think?

My opinion:
Accepting this data in any way would be the worst thing possible. It
would bring XMPP one step closer to HTML, as already has happened
with RSS (back when I wrote an RSS reader, I spent about 80-90% of
the debugging time trying to parse some XML-like binary data). This
would make life hell for XMPP developers, and should be avoided at
any cost.

andy